Re: [opensuse] How do I turn off the modem
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:13:42 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-06 at 10:05 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:

Too bad.

Then, you could do a grep on the entire disk (except your home and data)
to find the string.

I started with /etc and found nothing relevant.
Trying /usr/share/doc wasn't relevant either :-(

I was thinking of binaries.

Don't use YaST to remove it: use rpm --nodeps. Hopefully, some program
will complain that some thing is missing. Who cares.

Or chmod the binary to not be executable.

Hm. Sounds better. At least that might give me some error logs that I
can trace back through ...

Exactly.

The ideal would be knowing what configuration can change that behavior,
but I have no idea. By making it crash, you might learn which app is
responsible, at least.

Makes sense, yes, but so far my 'hacking' (and guesswork-driven at
that!) hasn't hit on it. I was hoping someone who actually used dial-up
(I have cable the far side of my switch and firewall) might know.

When I have to use a modem I use wvdial on an xterm.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.