Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:54:50 +0100
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 14:47:02 Rui Santos wrote:
So... you're saying that the problem may be that some programs may be
more memory hungry than others, witch can have worst results on a 64
bits OS. So this mau be a general Linux issue, and not openSUSE specific.

It's a general computing issue. It has nothing to do with linux in any way. A
64 bit value consumes twice as much space as a 32 bit value.

Man, It never crossed my mind I would need 512MB of RAM to perform a
file system check on a 850MB worth of files on a 100GB vfat file system.

You didn't. You said you left 90MB free for the fsck, and without swap, that's
all you're going to get.

Anders