Re: [opensuse] Another 64bit thread
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:07:48 -0500
Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
I am thinking about trying a new linux adventure and installing 64bit
11.1 on the laptop that I use for work. I am wondering if I install the
64 bit operating system in root, can I use the old 32 bit home? Or,
does that need to be formatted and made new in 64 bit too?

You're confusing software with file system. Your home directory
normally contains data. It doesn't matter what file system contains
/home, though you wouldn't want to use FAT etc. Also, the 64 bit
version can run 32 bit apps.