Re: [opensuse] WARNING: If you are using xine for your (digital) TV....
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 22:28:26 +1100
G T Smith wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
....then (regularly) make a backup of the file ~/.xine so that should
some upgrade/update to your installation of oS 11.0/11.1 stops xine from
working then use the backup of /.xine to restore xine to a working
program.

Don't ask me what the reason for the cockup is. All I can say is that
some upgrades to 11.0 were put through earlier and (immediately)
afterwards I could not use xine to view digital TV - and I was watching
TV all day until I turned it off to do the upgrades. Replacing .xine
with a backup (a lucky copy for use on another system!) made it all work
again.

Ciao.

I would have thought it good practice to to do a backup before applying
any update at any time, one of the reasons I will not touch any form of
automatic update procedure...

There are 2 directories I always backup before any upgrades/updates are
allowed and they are ~/.thunderbird and .mozilla.

In all the years of using SuSE I have never found it necessary to backup
anything (except for above and also see further) before upgrades but now
it appears that the time has come to be really prudent when dealing with
the latest offerings for oS 11.x and doing backups has now become a
necessity.

(I backup my home directory once a week but now it will be done before
any upgrades are done.)

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of
higher things; with those below it, one may not."