[opensuse] Default install creates /etc/.pwd.lock in 11.1
  • From: Josef Wolf <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:46:59 +0100
Hello,

I have noticed huge delays in many operations (e.g. "ls -l"). After
some investigation it turned out that the delays are caused by nscd
when user/group name lookup is done. Even worse: it is not possible
to change passwords or modify user accounts.

The problem is caused because the installation procedure creates
a file named /etc/.pwd.lock dated from 2008-12-09 22:41.

When installing with "Installation from Images" activated, this file
is created by the installation of the "KDE[base]" Image. Then I tried
to install with "Installation from images" deactivated, but the file
was created anyway (with a different timestamp this time), thus I assume
some package is broken. Unfortunately, I could not figure out which
package was the cause.

A simple "rm /etc/.pwd.lock" cured the problem for me. But I guess this
problem deserves more investigation.