Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:31:36 +0000

James Knott wrote:
Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
On Mon, January 5, 2009 18:01, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

Many years ago, while taking a C programming course, I ran into some
"gotchas" with variable sizes, when moving between 32 & 16 bit systems.
In class, we were using Borland's Turbo C++ for DOS and at home I had
Borland C++ for OS/2. There was a difference in the size of some
variable types, such as INT, so that a program that ran fine at home
would fail in class, because I had exceeded the maximum integer size.
However, I have no idea how 32 & 64 bit systems compare with this issue.

On this one I would point finger at the tutorial/compiler/library not
the hardware. C/C++ does (or did) have some defined internal
constants/calls that cover variable size issues and these ideally should
be used in circumstances where this can be critical. (OK it can make
some code look a little more complex so probably not good in all parts
of a teaching situation, but it should be part of any C course so the
student gets to know that these things exist).

But there again Borland C/C++ was built for ease of use and speed of
compilation and more than a little eccentric in other areas, I remember
discovering with some surprise that the reason some code was slow was
due to the compiler using the string index registers for some arithmetic
calculations, (Became a MASM job for certain functions :-) ).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup