Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 03:47:32 -0600
Clayton wrote:
We are oddly still stuck with 32 bit multimedia codecs. A while
ago... when openSUSE 10.something was not working on my hardware I
tried out Ubuntu... one thing that I noticed at the time was that the
multimedia codecs were available as a 64 bit package (I was testing
out 64 bit), and it appeared that I did not need 32 bit libs etc..
just installed the 64 bit codecs and the 64 bit MPlayer and I was off
and running... I could be misremembering though... is my memory
serving me well here? Is there a 64-bit codec pack on the other side
of the fence? If so, why don't we have it too?

As it stands, this discussion has piqued my interest in trying out 64
bit again. I think it's time to go DL the 64bit DVD iso.

C.

w32 codecs are no longer needed (they haven't been for a long time).
The ffmpeg / libavcodec covers all major codecs that are in use
(including real media, quicktime, wmv). You would have to search pretty
hard to find something it does not support. There is no reason to
install w32 codecs at all now days.

Dean Hilkewich