Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:29:52 +0100
I have to agree, most of the arguments with 32-bit and 64-bit are very
outdated. Like you I have been running 64-bit for quite some years
(Since 9.3) without issue but people still seem to hold on to outdated
idea's. Even the last outstanding missing pieces of the puzzle have
been fixed with 64-bit flash and java plugins being available.

For me it was a case of trying it a while back, and ending up fighting
a nightmare of mixing 32 bit and 64 bit stuff to get the functionality
I needed/wanted - mainly caused by Flash and Java, but also with the
multimedia codecs. I wanted those, so that forced me to run a 32bit
FireFox, which lead to a seemingly never ending mess of mixed
architectures As people have pointed out, the majority of those
issues are fixed with things like Flash and Java being available in 64
bit.

We are oddly still stuck with 32 bit multimedia codecs. A while
ago... when openSUSE 10.something was not working on my hardware I
tried out Ubuntu... one thing that I noticed at the time was that the
multimedia codecs were available as a 64 bit package (I was testing
out 64 bit), and it appeared that I did not need 32 bit libs etc..
just installed the 64 bit codecs and the 64 bit MPlayer and I was off
and running... I could be misremembering though... is my memory
serving me well here? Is there a 64-bit codec pack on the other side
of the fence? If so, why don't we have it too?

As it stands, this discussion has piqued my interest in trying out 64
bit again. I think it's time to go DL the 64bit DVD iso.

C.