Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 02:45:30 -0500
Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
* James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> [Jan 05. 2009 19:22]:
Some software may work perfectly on x32 while barfing on x64, especially
software that wasn't designed with x64 in mind. Making software compatible
with every conceivable architecture upgrade of the distant future would
add massive layers of abstraction.
Many years ago, while taking a C programming course, I ran into some
"gotchas" with variable sizes, when moving between 32 & 16 bit
systems. In class, we were using Borland's Turbo C++ for DOS and at
home I had Borland C++ for OS/2. There was a difference in the size
of some variable types, such as INT, so that a program that ran fine
at home would fail in class, because I had exceeded the maximum
integer size. However, I have no idea how 32 & 64 bit systems compare
with this issue.

It's still the exact same thing. People are not making architecture
independent code, still.

Supposedly, MickySoft is getting with the program and doing so. I have
NO data to prove it, only from what I heard from the "inside." Anyway,
IMHO, it's ignorant not to be writing 64-bit independent code. Make the
effort now and increase performance. From now forward, there won't be
anymore new 32-bit processors from Intel. It's a 64-bit world and has
been for awhile.

Fred

--
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed
regularly -- and for the same reason."