Re: [opensuse] Fink for OpenSuSE?
  • From: JC Francois <jc.francois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:37:26 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I assume that the Mac people have a method defined so that all those
applications compile in the same way, a standard place to get the
sources, dependencies, etc.

Or are they simply doing a rebuild rpm? Because that does exist in
suse, too.

Have a look at Gentoo. It is a source-base distro that enables you to
build everything from source and specify any amount of compile flags to
fine tune your system to your heart's desire. They have a command-line
interface (emerge) and some GUIs (e.g. portage).

In my opinion building for source is the most useful when building a
system with specific requirements or constraints (e.g. embedded system
or old PC with limited memory and processing power). It is also a great
learning process.

For anything else, stick to binary-based distros.