Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: Teruel de Campo MD <chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:42:47 -0700
On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 19:22 -0600, Dean Hilkewich wrote:
MikeDL wrote:
I wrote "my main workstations". Four years ago using SuSE 9.1 I rewrite a
ton
of my code to remove 32 bitisms and take advantage of the additional
registers. My response to the OP is that for the last year, I have been
using
a x86_64 OS as my main day-to-day general purpose platform with no
problems,
and that he should not reject the choice based on FUD.

The only "Bad Things" that can happen is being frightened by people
imagining
problems based on disinformation or an experience from 2004.

Using that logic, it's a wonder you're not still using a 80286. There are
many reasons to upgrade to x86_64, and with few exceptions only fear of
change
as a reason not to.

I have to agree, most of the arguments with 32-bit and 64-bit are very
outdated. Like you I have been running 64-bit for quite some years
(Since 9.3) without issue but people still seem to hold on to outdated
idea's. Even the last outstanding missing pieces of the puzzle have
been fixed with 64-bit flash and java plugins being available.

Dean Hilkewich

I have been running suse 64 since 9.0. I remember I have to order the
box on line and it contained the 64 bit version. It was not easy to
find. The new system at that time had only SATA drives so it did not
install. A month later came an update and suse 64 installed OK. I have
not have any problem to run it with the exception of a couple of plugins
and there were way to go around it. SuSE 9.0 64b was my initiation to
linux coming from OS/2. I have sometimes problems that require some work
to solve it but they were not related to 64b OS but just new version
with changes.

-=terry=-