Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.1 on PS3
  • From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:24:21 +0800
On Monday 05 January 2009 18:47:29 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Monday 05 January 2009 11:36:43 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
So, I think the PS3 is not
showing any content it thinks is copyrighted. Even if is is fully legal.

No, I don't think this is true. In my experience however, the PS3 is
incredibly picky when it comes to codecs. It can only handle a very limited
subset. It has caused me no end of headaches for my movie library (I have
ripped my DVDs to avis for easier access)

I think it supports WMV, DivX, and possibly other video codecs, but the range
is very limited. For my use I've set up mediatomb on my NAS and simply stream
my media files (95% of which are either DivX or xvid which also seems to play
on the PS3). This also works for my MP3 collection as well.

Thus my interest in openSUSE as an alternative.

I think it will be difficult. SUSE in general runs well, and for music you
should be fine, but for movies, linux won't get full access to the graphics
hardware, so there will be performance issues. I don't think you can
comfortably watch movies there.

Would tend to agree with this. Having installed Linux on my PS3 I was, to say
the least, underwhelmed. The PS3 doesn't have a massive amount of memory
available, and has limited the accessibility to the hardware (graphics in
particular). Would make for a nice server I guess.

Jon