Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: Dean Hilkewich <deans.mail.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:22:05 -0600
MikeDL wrote:
I wrote "my main workstations". Four years ago using SuSE 9.1 I rewrite a
ton
of my code to remove 32 bitisms and take advantage of the additional
registers. My response to the OP is that for the last year, I have been
using
a x86_64 OS as my main day-to-day general purpose platform with no problems,
and that he should not reject the choice based on FUD.

The only "Bad Things" that can happen is being frightened by people imagining
problems based on disinformation or an experience from 2004.

Using that logic, it's a wonder you're not still using a 80286. There are
many reasons to upgrade to x86_64, and with few exceptions only fear of
change
as a reason not to.

I have to agree, most of the arguments with 32-bit and 64-bit are very
outdated. Like you I have been running 64-bit for quite some years
(Since 9.3) without issue but people still seem to hold on to outdated
idea's. Even the last outstanding missing pieces of the puzzle have
been fixed with 64-bit flash and java plugins being available.

Dean Hilkewich