Re: [opensuse] More Samba Help
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 18:13:49 -0600
Bogdan Cristea wrote:
On Monday 05 January 2009 21:26:17 Donald D Henson wrote:
(Linux Earth-svr 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux)
(SAMBA 3.2.4-5.2)
(MS Windows xp home/pro)
My SOHO system consists of two Linux workstations, each with some
network functions, a Windows XP pro laptop, and a Windows XP Home
notebook. All are connected via a local net using cat 5 cable or wifi. I
have a ton of tech data on Samba, from how to get it to how to
administer a large network using Samba. (I think my problem is too much
data.) All I want is to publish a folder on any of the machines that
can be opened by any other machine. Can anyone give me a simple
step-by-step procedure for doing that? Any help appreciated.

When I need to share folders for everyone, I prefer to share a folder, from Samba server in yast, so that is accessible only by guests (the option should be "guest only = yes") and the symbolic links are followed ("Follow symbolic links = yes"). Then I create in this folder symbolic links to folders I want to share.

I would add Browsable=yes in Yast. I made a directory on my system, not in home (you can make it anywhere you like) and point Samba via Yast to that folder. You can change the name that appears on the network.

Important, make sure you set the permissions on your linux directory to be writable by all. If you don't, Samba will try to write to it, but the file system permissions in Linux will prevent writes.

My advise, ignore all the tech data. I did the same thing, but setting up a simple share in openSuse is much easier, you can do it all in Yast, except setting your permissions (as stated above).

Jim F