[opensuse] Re: should i go with 64bit??
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:04:02 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:23:46 +0100, Clayton wrote:

The primary reasons I stick with 32-bit are:
- multimedia (w32codecs for example)

Seems to work fine here. I use mplayer with win32codecs all the time on
my 64-bit 11.0 installation.

- browser plugins

Was a problem from a Java standpoint until Sun released the beta of the
64-bit plugin. nspluginwrapper solved the problem for Flash for those
who absolutely had to have it, but now there's a 64-bit flash plugin as
well.

- gaming (Wine/Cedega particularly)

Can't comment on that as I don't use them. There are 64-bit WINE
packages and I assume they work OK, but I do my Windows stuff in VMware
which runs on both 32- and 64-bit systems just fine.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson