Re: [opensuse] Re: madwifi RPMS for 11.1 (temporary)
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:01:59 -0600
r wrote:
On 2008-12-27, Philipp Thomas <Philipp.Thomas2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:22:10 -0600, you wrote:

Only because it was 2:00 am when I finally got time to start the project and
didn't have time to set one up ;-)
OK, so now I did :) It's now in home:psmt/madwifi and thus should be
available with much more bandwith.

Philipp

I installed them from OpenSuSE repository. I installed the pae one
because I have the pae kernel from OpenSuSE 11.1 installation.
But it does not works. It installs correctly, then I go to network
manager, activate thw wlan, select my wireless network, insert wpa/wep
key, but it fails to connect.
I've atheros AR242x, on a netbook acer aspire one a150-bb.
Moreover if I unload module ath5k and load ath_pci, it doesn't see my
wlan via 'ifconfig'.
is there something I have to to do configure madwifi or with it to
connect to my wlan ?

Roberto

Roberto,

Thanks for the feedback. The rpm should work fine. I am running it on
the same
card:

17:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg
Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

You will need to configure it to use the ath_pci kernel module, not the
ath5k
kernel module. Here is a short howto I have on the subject. It is the same for
11.1:

Installing, Troubleshooting and Configuring WPA
for the madwifi driver
on openSuSE 11.0

Installation:

# First remove all existing madwifi rpms if you have a newer Atheros card,
AR242 or later

rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep madwifi)

# Get the current madwifi rpms that will support newer Atheros cards at:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/drankinatty/openSUSE_11.1/

# After the install, start yast and configure the new network device:

Under the 'General' tab, 'Device Control' select 'Enable Device Control for
Non-root User Via Kinternet'

Under the 'Address' tab, select Dynamic Address

Under the 'Hardware' tab, make sure the Module Name is 'ath_pci'

Click Next:

Operating Mode: Managed

Enter your SSID

Enter you Authentication Mode, etc..

# Next you will simply need to start network manager and add and configure your
card. If you can't find your card, then see Troubleshooting below. Configuring
WPA follows troubleshooting below.

Troubleshooting:

# Check that ath0 station is created:

iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"rbpllc" Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:1C:10:4B:2E:CD
Bit Rate:48 Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:6B2E-5834-1B7A-1BA3-FDAA-484B-6E84-3B55 Security
mode:restricted
Power Management:off
Link Quality=44/70 Signal level=-48 dBm Noise level=-92 dBm

eth0 no wireless extensions.

# if NO ath0, then Create the station

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

# Check with iwconfig

iwconfig

# Bring up the interface

ifconfig ath0 up

# Insert the scanning module

modprobe wlan_scan_sta

# Scan for nets

wlanconfig ath0 list scan

# or for all modems

iwlist ath0 scan

# if key required

iwconfig ath0 key <yourkey>

# Connect to the AP

iwconfig ath0 essid "eddie"

# Get IP address

dhclient ath0

# or

dhcpcd ath0

# For fixed IP

ifconfig ath0 <IP address> netmask <netmask> up

Configuring WPA:

# To set up WPA config

wpa_passphrase "your_ESSID" "Some_Decent_PassPhrase_of_up_64_Characters" >>
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and add the lines into the network section
created above:

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
# proto=WPA
proto=RSN

Uncomment the proto=WPA line (and comment out the RSN line) to enable WPA.
Leave as is for WPA2 (stronger encryption).

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC