Re: [opensuse] suspend to disk and size of swap partition
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:12:53 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-01-05 at 16:21 +0100, Malte Gell wrote:

Hi there,
in order to use suspend to disk one has to set a swap partition with the
"resume=" option in the bootloader. Okay. But, if I have e.g. 2 GB of RAM I
should have 2 GB swap space for suspend to disk. Now I have two seperate swap
paritions, each 1 GB, in sum it is enough, but with "resum=" you can name only
one partition. So, my question is, is "suspend to disk" intelligent enough to
use ALL available swap partitions, though there is only one resume=/dev/hdc5
specified in GRUB ? /dev/hdc5 is only 1GB swap, but I have more swap space,
does STD recognize them automagically?

In the past, no. It would even refuse to suspend if you had two swaps defined. now I have two, and it works, but I don't know if it uses one for hibernation or both; I guess it ignores the second for the image, but it uses both for frozen apps.

You can set up both, and set "resume" to one of them, and try. I believe it will refuse to go ahead if there is insuficient space.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.