Re: [opensuse] Is 11.1 and kde3 really that broken??
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 07:46:32 -0600
James Knott wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

Over the holidays, I had a chance to really try and configure kde
3.5.10 on
11.1 resulting in some really weird behavior and numerous hard locks. I
installed a fresh copy of 11.1 i586 from the dvd. First, I got kde4 desktop.
Then reconfiguring I did get kde3, but it is really broken.

I installed 11.1 on two computers and switched one back to 11.0. The
other is my "test" system, where 11.1 can't do any harm.

That seems to be the direction I'm leaning. One oddity was updates on
Friday
and again on Sunday on the x86_64 box. There were a bizillion updates for 11.1
on Friday. For some strange reason it tried to pull in SLE-branding for compiz,
but then there were another bizillion updates Sunday that seemed to try and
delete the SLE-branding stuff. Almost like the SLE/11.1 switch for updates got
messed up.

On the good side, the core-server apps on 11.1 seem OK. I have apache
configured with https://, BIND, DHCP, MySQL, etc.. all clicking along without
issue. It is the desktops that are whacko. I guess I'm lucky. I'm perfectly
happy using icewm, and have all my custom menus built, so the desktops on 11.1
are not completely unusable. Just the KDE desktops. What do the Gnome folks
say. Is Gnome working on 11.1?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC