Re: [opensuse] KDE4 performance tip
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:32:07 +0100
On Thursday 25 December 2008 01:26:21 Anton Aylward wrote:
and there no way to _completely_ get rid of - I like that name! -
neopunk. Its hard wired in as a library rather than plug-in for
Konqueror and Dolphin and many others. Which is odd as these programs
support plug-ins. I can get rid of the main executables in /usr/bin/
but the libraries hang around.

<snip>

On the contrary, you can effectively remove it with 'zypper rm soprano-
backend-*'.
These files are the database backend _plugins_, without them nepomuk is
disabled.

You can also disable nepomuk or just desktop search in Configure Desktop
(systemsettings), in the advanced tab. "Nepomuk semantic desktop" is (put
simplistically) for tagging and rating, and "Strigi desktop search" is the bit
that is eating CPU and disk atm.

If you do want to keep it around, the sesame backend is much faster than the
redland one. I admit that in 4.1 nepomuk is largely interesting to
experimenters - only Dolphin is really making use of it with its rating and
tagging system - but it is becoming increasingly widespread, expect it to
mature as the derg has done.

Will