Re: [opensuse] slow nfs over wifi
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 07:34:06 -0500
lynn wrote:
Th photos are on the server at 192.168.1.2. That exports to the lan via nfs.
nfs is slow then. that's why I don't thing nfs was ever designed to transmit
over a wifi connection.

No IP protocol is designed for WiFi. They're designed to go over
whatever is available. In your original message, I and others got the
impression you were downloading via the internet and some even thought
some mobile device, such as a phone.

I assume you've got that WiFi router connected to the internet and you
have other computers behind it, at least one wired and one via WiFi. Is
that correct? WiFi bandwidth is variable, due to a lot of influences,
such as signal strength and interference (from other WiFi or other
devices). With 802.11g, the maximum bandwidth is 54 Mb/s, but that is
reduced by half duplex and overhead. If you have a slow connection, you
might not notice it, with interactive apps, but you could notice it on a
large file transfer. What happens if you use Samba, FTP or other file
transfer protocol?