Re: [opensuse] slow nfs over wifi
  • From: lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 13:22:46 +0100
On Monday 05 January 2009 10:37:24 G T Smith wrote:
lynn wrote:
Is wifi designed to be able to mount nfs shares? My connection is superb
over Internet via my ISP but eg my xmas photos from my mobile took 10
minutes to download 20 Mb or so via nfs. And during nfs stuff the dlink
connection to my router shows only 2 bars out of 5. As soon as nfs
finishes it's back to 5/5. Maybe you're not supposed to use nfs over
wireless. Please no 'works for me'. Just whether it can work properly or
not. Only personal experiences please. No theory! 11.1 with a 64 bit nfs
server and a laptop also on 11.1 connecting using kinternetmanager out of
the box which I do not want to change. Phew. And my son thought i'd never
be able to ask it.

Luv L x

Hmm...

I think others maybe missing a point here (are we talking mobile phone,
PDA or laptop computer?)...

Are you are downloading photos from a mobile phone or PDA connected by
USB to a PC or to local WiFi?. Do not expect same level of performance.
Most mobile devices are somewhat slower at data functions than PCs. Also
most mobile devices use lower WiFi connection speeds (and depending on
the router involved this can impact on other usage).

IIRC the connection goes through a QoS negotiation algorithm that
establishes the speed at which data can most reliably transferred
between device and AP (this different from ethernet packet collision
control and operates at the physical layer). This is dynamic and can
change during a connection. With different mixes of hardware and
connection conditions expect different results.

The ISP bit has me slightly confused, is your mobile phone supplier your
ISP?

Th photos are on the server at 192.168.1.2. That exports to the lan via nfs.
nfs is slow then. that's why I don't thing nfs was ever designed to transmit
over a wifi connection.

Luv L x