Re: [opensuse] NFS client/server problems when an NFS server is offline
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:59:20 +0100
Is this normal? Shouldn't the intr option allow for the possibility
of a NFS sever not being available, essentially pushing the mount
attempts to the background, and silently mounting the NFS when the
server comes available?

No, you're confusing it with soft. Reread the man page (e.g.):
http://linux.die.net/man/5/nfs

I'll revisit this as soon as I can and change the option from hard to
soft on all 3 machines.

Is this (using NFS server/client) a reasonable solution in a situation
like this? Is there a better way to do this? (no central server, and
wanting to share a partition on each drive across a small home
network).

Well it's better not to design your network like this, with circular
mounts, but it is possible.

I would prefer a central NFS server with clients linking in (which is
what I have on my own home network), but in this case, that isn't so
easy. The home network in this case is essentially 3 personal
computers (for family members) that may or may not be on. They want
to be able to easily access a share partition on each of the 3
computers from any one of the 3 computers... if there is a better/more
reliable way to do this, I'd be happy to give it a go. They initially
tried the Share feature in the file manager (Dolphin), but that was...
unpredictable. YAST does this so much better.

Hmm, you should see some change. Start again using soft mounts, don't
use file managers for now, just command lines and please post the
results of your commands and the relevant status messages in the logs.

Also, if you're mounting from fstab and it's still not working, try
setting the fstab line to noauto and then mount manually after booting
completes. That may help to pinpoint the problem.

The only computer that had any direct fstab editing is the Kubuntu one
(providing yet another reason for me to dislike that distro). I've
used YAST to do the openSUSE machines - which by the way, really
raised up openSUSE in the eyes of the people I am helping out... they
saw the ugly manual CLI method for Ubuntu, and then saw how slick and
easy it was in YAST. The next question I was asked was... how hard
will it be to wipe Kubuntu and install openSUSE on that 3rd machine
:-) But that's another project for another day (there are issues
around VMWare that needs to run on this 3rd machine, and openSUSE 11.1
not playing so nice just yet with VMWare).

Anyway, as soon as I can get remote access again to those computers, I
will try out soft and noauto options and see if that clears up the
issues. Thanks for the extra info.

C.