Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: MikeDL <mikedl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 06:41:33 -0500
i hv Core 2 Duo processor and 2 GB memory on my notebook and i m going
to have a fresh install for opensuse 11.1. From opensuse website, it
says for my spec, I should go with 64 bit version. What is the plus
minus of 32 bit and 64 bit?? Should I go with 64 bit?? Could 64 bit
runs Compiz?

Your processor is designed to work best in 64 bit mode, and you will only get
the full benefit of the extra registers and 64 bit instructions with a 64 bit
operating system. The plus is significantly better speed in heavily processor
bound apps (graphics, scientific, etc.).

I've been running 64 bits on my main workstations for over
a year. No problems at all related to installing 32 bit libraries
to support the rare 32 bit code I need to run (games like Doom 3, Quake 4)
various other things via wine, and multimedia codecs. YaST handles it
automatically. The NVIDIA installer even provides 32 bit compatibility GL
libraries.

Early on, there were problems with browser plugins but I haven't noticed any
recently. I guess it depends on what you browse to.

But YMMV -- some people think going from 32 bits to 64 ruined their computing
experience.