Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.1 on PS3
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:47:29 +0100
On Monday 05 January 2009 11:36:43 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
So, I think the PS3 is not
showing any content it thinks is copyrighted. Even if is is fully legal.

No, I don't think this is true. In my experience however, the PS3 is
incredibly picky when it comes to codecs. It can only handle a very limited
subset. It has caused me no end of headaches for my movie library (I have
ripped my DVDs to avis for easier access)

Thus my interest in openSUSE as an alternative.

I think it will be difficult. SUSE in general runs well, and for music you
should be fine, but for movies, linux won't get full access to the graphics
hardware, so there will be performance issues. I don't think you can
comfortably watch movies there.

I have heard rumours that a way has been found of gaining access to the gfx
from linux, but I don't know the details.

I think the openSUSE PPC/PS3 install is quite well done. And
surprisingly complete. Except for media players. There is a restricted
media page at openSUSE that has a 1-click to add lots of these things.
But the install fails as all the packages do not exist for PPC. Or at
least they do not exist where the x86 packages are.

I suspect the main offender is w32codecs. You should be able to modify the
package selection from the 1-click installer, to remove it.

Anders