Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:23:46 +0100
i hv Core 2 Duo processor and 2 GB memory on my notebook and i m going
to have a fresh install for opensuse 11.1. From opensuse website, it
says for my spec, I should go with 64 bit version. What is the plus
minus of 32 bit and 64 bit?? Should I go with 64 bit?? Could 64 bit
runs Compiz?

I wouldn't bother. I've recently switched my external servers from
64bit to 32bit - it saved me quite a bit of memory. My workstation is
64bit for now, but I'll most probably also re-install that with 32bit.

I have yet to see a compelling reason to move to 64-bit (ie I still
use 32-bit). The primary reasons I stick with 32-bit are:
- multimedia (w32codecs for example)
- browser plugins
- gaming (Wine/Cedega particularly)
In all 3 cases, 32 bit libs are required. It is possible to install
32 bit libs into a 64-bit install, but it quickly becomes VERY messy
because of all the dependencies. I tried it for a while, but gave up
on it as a bad idea until 64-bit versions of the bits I want/need are
readily available.

On a server... it makes sense... on a home/desktop computer it's not so useful.

C.