Re: [opensuse] CF cards for system installation and hard drive suspend
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:04:49 +0100
HG wrote:

Also, does OpenSUSE 11.1 spin down the 1.5Tb data hard drives when
they are not in use? Or can it be easily configured to do so?

It's easily configured with hdparm. I've got a backup-system with
2x1Tb in RAID1 which is only spun up for a maybe four hours every
morning
between 2 and 6. Experiment a bit with your hardware - my array is
showing some instability when spinning up the drives, and I think
I'll have to return/replace one or both.

So, it is possible to do for RAID-arrays also? Didn't know that.

Well, you don't do it for the array, you do it for the individual
drives. On my backup system, I have both drives set to a standby
timeout of 10minutes.

My 9.2 didn't do that when I tried to enable it from YaST AFAIK.

I don't know if it can be done from YaST.

What kind of instability are you experiencing? Is it connected to RAID
or other HW?

At least one of the drives has problems waking up from standby. I have
not yet investigated in any detail.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich