Re: [opensuse] NFS client/server problems when an NFS server is offline
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:37:32 -0500
Clayton wrote:
This weekend I was setting up a small home network for a friend. He
has 2 computers on openSUSE, one on 11.0, and the other on 11.1. A
third computer is on Kubuntu 8.04, and he will be adding a 4th
computer to the mix running openSUSE 11.1. All are on the same subnet
over 2 routers (one router acting as a switch).

I set up computer 1 as an NFS server, and exported a partition. I
went to computer 2, and set it up as an NFS client connecting to
computer 1. Then I set up an NFS server on computer 2 and an NFS
client on computer 1... and again on computer 2. The idea being that
I could export a partition on each computer to be mounted from the
other two as standard NFS mounts. This worked perfectly, and I could
see the exports nicely mounted on each machine.

I set the mount options for each client to: rw,hard,intr

OK, so all appeared to be working great. Then computer 2 was powered
down. If I opened a file manager (or terminal window and did an ls
-al) on computer 1, it appeared to hang the file manager. It just sat
there blank.. and then after 20 minutes or more it finally timed out
(?) and showed the contents of /home/$USER.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the intr option allow for the possibility
of a NFS sever not being available, essentially pushing the mount
attempts to the background, and silently mounting the NFS when the
server comes available?

Try a soft mount, if you expect the NFS server to be unavailable.