Re: [opensuse] Image resizing?
  • From: Teruel de Campo MD <chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:14:11 -0700
On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 12:09 -0800, Jerry Houston wrote:
On Saturday 27 December 2008 20:08:13 Ken Schneider wrote:

I use this one liner in a shell script do convert photos prior to putting
them on the web for a club I belong to. Set the res to what you need and
adjust to the type of pics you are converted.

for I in `ls -1 *.[j,J][p,P][g,G]`;do convert -resize 640x480 ${I}
${I};echo ${I} Completed;done

I used a variation of this, but ended up with images sized to 416x234, when I
had specified 480x234. Obviously, convert preserved the aspect ratio of the
original images, fitting them to a height of 234.

Does anyone know if there's an option to force the specified size? I would
expect a little to be trimmed from the top and bottom, of course, which would
be acceptable for this application (digital picture frame). That would be
preferable to black bands on both sides of the images.

I guess you do not want to use a program with a GUI. My approach is here
is pretty simple/

Digikam Edit/Select all /Batch/resize images and there you can get
proportional, non proportional etc.

Another program that does it and one that has the most filter for any
possible format you may want to convert is xnview. Unfortunately the
present version 1.70 does not work with compiz. The author is working in
a new one and he already has the windows version upgraded. The windows
version works under crossover. xnview 1.7 is an X application and it
does things others do not. It was my favorite until I became a compiz
use. Still I have it just in case.

-=terry=-