Re: [opensuse] slow nfs over wifi
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 06:17:17 -0600
On Sunday 04 January 2009 6:14 am, Robert Paulsen wrote:
On Sunday 04 January 2009 5:49 am, Carlos E. R. wrote:
You asked me too look, but I have no personal experience of nfs over
wifi.

My guess is that it may not work well: if the link drops for an instant I
don't think NFS can cope too gracefully. The best thing would be FTP...
or perhaps not, because either you get bad files or it has to repeat and
repeat... which is probably why NFS is slow. Just try with ftp (or http)
and compare.

As to the connection quality graph, I suppose it shows normally "good",
simply because it is not used. As soon as NFS uses it hard, it shows the
real quality, which is "bad". That's my educated guess.

So, I think that your real problem is the connection quality.

I can go along with that as a possibility. I have been using NFS over
wireless for quite some time. In my case the NFS server is connected to my
router via wire but the client (Windows laptop) is connected to the router
via wireless. I run quicken on the windows client but keep the data on the
Linux (SuSE 9.3) server. Performance, reliability and integrity of the
Quicken data have been problems.

My wireless connection is rock solid because everything is on battery
backup and the wireless signal is strong.

Bob

Arrgh! Correction: "Performance, reliability and integrity of the Quicken data
have *NOT* been problems.