Re: [opensuse] SUSE Operating System: GRUB Loading Error 18
  • From: "meredith walsh" <gadgetgirl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 17:12:41 -0800
Hi,

We probably need more information about how you went about doing that setup,
and which Windows, and which SUSE. Vista can be more trouble than older
versions. (sorry don't know the hard-drive details)

I installed SUSE 10.2 which partitioned the hard drive as part of the
installation so it dual boots. The other operating system is Windows XP.

After not shutting my machine down properly (don't ask) I went to reboot it
(normally, without any disk in the drive)it wouldn't go beyond the GRUB loading
1.5 stage, which then returned Error 18.

Sounds like your installation DVD is still in the drive.

I do. I put in after my machine wouldn't go beyond the GRUB loading when I
turned it on to see if I could do anything about sorting the problem from using
the installation DVD such as a RESCUE.

http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_13.html tells the
meaning of that message.

I have checked out what the Error code refers to but are none the wiser (said I
was a newbie). It says: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS.

thanks,

meredith