Re: [opensuse] Switching to Opensuse from ubuntu
  • From: "Allen Zhu" <allen.jaloola@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:07:30 -0800
Homepage of Alien: http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/.

Think that will help...

Allen Zhu
allen.jaloola@xxxxxxxxx

Groucho Marx - "I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury."

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Kevin Dupuy <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 16:47 +0100, Christian wrote:
Hi all,
I have been using that other distribution for some time now, but I am
thinking about switching to openSUSE since it seems to have some nice and
cool features compared to the other.
How do i install .deb packages on opensuse?
Many thanks,
Christian

Simplest solution: find the package in our software catalogs. Search @
http://software.opensuse.org/search (or choose "openSUSE Software" in
the Firefox search bar). If nothing turns up, try searching at
http://packages.opensuse-community.org/ which indexes some of the
community catalogs separate of openSUSE's. Us the 1-Click Install
functionality to install them (simply click on the 1-Click Install
button, YaST will guide you through the rest).

If you can't find what you're looking for there, and you absolutely need
to use a .deb package (.rpm packages work on openSUSE, use those if you
can), then you can try using an application called "alien". It's a
command line app that I'm not too familiar with, but if you need to,
it's worth a shot.

Otherwise, welcome to openSUSE, and have a lot of fun!
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy - openSUSE Member
Public Mail: <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>