Re: [opensuse] Simple OO question about combining a cover letter and a spreadsheet?
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hyltonconacher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:41:58 +0200

Greg Freemyer wrote:
All,

I want to create multi-format document.

The first page or two would be cover letter. The later pages would be
spreadsheets.

Can that done in OO?

I have done this with OO by OLE linking to spreadsheets.

However, there are a number of subtle gotchas (as in M$ but different
ones exist in M$. I have a bugzilla still extant about a formatting
issue in OO with such an import). The only environment which I have
worked with that did this consistently with minimum grief was Lotus....

There are a number of ways of linking a spreadsheet to a document in OO
some dynamic, some not, all have different pluses and minuses. I would
suggest experiment to find the method that suits your requirements.

If you are talking about M$ ability to include an embedded spreadsheet
OO does have this capability. I have run into problems with this
arranging largish spreadsheet layouts, so only make use of it for fairly
trivial calculations.

Can it be exported into a MS Office supported combined doc?

Never tried this. I think the major issue here is if the documents are
linked dynamically then not only would the main document need to be
converted, but any linked spreadsheets. I would suspect this would would
work if the spreadsheet was fairly basic. I would be intrigued to find
out how well this works.

The other problem was portability with dynamically linked documents, I
seem to remember issues with paths of required dynamically linked
documents causing problems on occasions.

I do not think M$ would support a combined document but to get around
that, create the document in OO, convert to PDF and then send to the
M4 folk. Portable Document Format to the rescue :)

Regards
Hylton