Re: [opensuse] Fink for OpenSuSE?
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 14:30:44 -0300
j debert escribió:

Yes, I am quite painfully aware that SuSE is a binary distro. It's
rather evident given the slightly more than slight difficulty in
obtaining sources that is getting slightly more difficult with each
release.

do you think it is difficult to zypper source-install <package> ?

Ummm... How would you know whether or not building from source would
have a noticeable benefit for me?

Im in fact, sure it doesnt, except for some very specific components,
different compiler options and optimization levels have already being
tried with only a marginal _overall_ improvement.

(Actually, I have had to rebuild quite a bit from source to replace
SuSE binaries. It's a PITA.)

Why ?

--
"We have art in order not to die of the truth" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Cristian Rodríguez R.
Platform/OpenSUSE - Core Services
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development