Re: [opensuse] Safest way to update kernel? or don't bother?
  • From: Gabriel <gabriel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:13:40 -0200
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Sbs Bofh <sbsbofh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, I'm using openSuSE 10.3 on a machine which is running in a
headless configuration in a datacenter several hundred miles away. I
have serial console access and can see some but not all of the boot-up
over the serial console.

Currently on kernel 2.6.22.18-0.2 (the SMP flavor, I think, if that
makes any difference)

zypper -v pchk says the box needs a kernel security update - how do I
judge whether I should apply the update or not? (BTW, there are no
local users on this machine other than me.)

If I apply this update, is there a risk of the box failing to boot
afterwards? This would be A Bad Thing.

Is there a "safer" way to apply this update, perhaps by keeping the
old kernel available in the grub boot menu?

Thanks

Download the package and install it using rpm, the new kernel will add
a default new entry in the grub config.
If all works, you can remove the old one using the same command.

--
Kind Regards