[opensuse] Safest way to update kernel? or don't bother?
  • From: "Sbs Bofh" <sbsbofh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 17:54:29 +0100
So, I'm using openSuSE 10.3 on a machine which is running in a
headless configuration in a datacenter several hundred miles away. I
have serial console access and can see some but not all of the boot-up
over the serial console.

Currently on kernel 2.6.22.18-0.2 (the SMP flavor, I think, if that
makes any difference)

zypper -v pchk says the box needs a kernel security update - how do I
judge whether I should apply the update or not? (BTW, there are no
local users on this machine other than me.)

If I apply this update, is there a risk of the box failing to boot
afterwards? This would be A Bad Thing.

Is there a "safer" way to apply this update, perhaps by keeping the
old kernel available in the grub boot menu?

Thanks

Jim