Re: [opensuse] How do I do this with zypper?
  • From: Harald Müller-Ney <hmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:54:00 +0100
Christian wrote:

OK, but i dont want to create my own packages. When i download an application
and want to compile it some dependencies are needed. For example, in Debian I
type:
apt-get build-dep application

You just want to compile the software on your system - it is up to you.
While the step from compiling it to creating a package (using local
build or build service) is not too big. At least if you have gone
through it two or three times ;-)

What you are looking for is how to install "patterns".

pattern - represents a group of packages. For example an Http Server
pattern would have the dependencies defined so that all packages needed
to run and manage an http server would have been triggered for
installation when upon installing the pattern.

How to actually install a pattern:

zypper in -t pattern lamp_server
to install lamp_server pattern (packages needed for a LAMP server)

Now you need to find out about what patterns exist.
This can be done by listing all pattern:

zypper search -t pattern -r <name of repo you like to look into>

You will find looking into installation media or OSS repo doem "devel"
patterns. Like following output from my home system (German output,
pattern is called Schema):

i | devel_C_C++ | C/C++-Entwicklung
| Schema
i | devel_basis | Grundlegende Entwicklungsumgebung
| Schema
| devel_cell | Cell-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_gnome | GNOME-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_ide | Integrierte Entwicklungsumgebungen
| Schema
| devel_java | Java-Entwicklung
| Schema
i | devel_kde | KDE-Entwicklung
| Schema
i | devel_kernel | Linux-Kernel-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_mono | .NET-Entwicklung
| Schema
i | devel_perl | Perl-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_python | Python-Entwicklung
| Schema
i | devel_qt4 | Qt 4-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_rails | Ruby on Rails-Entwicklung
| Schema
i | devel_rpm_build | RPM Build-Umgebung
| Schema
| devel_ruby | Ruby-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_tcl | Tcl-/Tk-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_web | Web-Entwicklung
| Schema
| devel_yast | YaST-Entwicklung
| Schema

You will need at least devel_basis. With a high chance also devel_C_C++.

I hope this helps.

The zypper usage page provides details:
http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage

--
Harald Müller-Ney, Project Manager Maintenance Coordination
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 Nürnberg