Re: [opensuse] Sound doesn't play in Firefox
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:48:19 -0500
On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 15:23 +0000, Pete Connolly wrote:
Mark Misulich wrote:
On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 06:49 -0800, Kai Ponte wrote:

Mark Misulich wrote:

Hi,
I upgraded to 11.1 32bit system on my desktop computer, and now sound
doesn't work on sites with streaming audio such as youtube or news
websites when I use Firefox. The sound works normally otherwise.

I'm assuming that the video plays fine, right?

Yes, the video plays fine, just no sound on youtube. On other streaming
audio sites with embedded player, there is no video of course but the
indications that the stream is downloading and should be playing are
correct.

Just out of curiosity - do you have a secondary media player such as
Amarok loaded already? I have found in the past - that you can't play
both. I just tested in 11.1 on my other laptop and am able to have both
loaded.

No, nothing else is playing or loaded up on the desktop.

I had similar problem when I installed 11.1. I was all ready to mail
the list when I checked the volume control in the flash component on the
page and found that the volume was set to 0 for some reason.

Fresh install onto disk, preserving the old /home partition. I can't
see a reason for that, but it was an easy fix.

I already checked that, and checked kmixer, and tried alsa conf before I
posted. I am certainly not above missing the obvious, but in this case
that wasn't the problem. Strangest of all, the sound just started to
work.

Cheers

Pete