Re: [opensuse] Zypper curl errors in 11.0
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 03:14:06 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2009-01-01 at 19:11 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

On Thursday 01 January 2009 01:45:08 pm Carlos E. R. wrote:
Some websites with ads are real DNS server killer. They request
resolution of 90 names for each page. Some like Yahoo ask once and that's
it. Mentioned this, does openSUSE use DNS resolver cache?

Er... no, you have to configure one. The service "nscd", which runs by
default, is misleading. The acronym stands for "name service cache
daemon", but it caches passwd, group, hosts, and services; not "dns".

But, simply by installing "bind" you have one, because the default
configuration is that of a cache server.

It sounds like, use baseball bat to kill a fly.
I never used bind, but it seems there is first time for everything.

True enough. But I have used it since... since I started using linux with a modem about 10 years ago, it made a bit of difference.

If you have a router, it is probable that the router has bind running, too. Mine has, as cache (less load on the ISP). I don't know haw effective it can be with so little memory, I haven't measured it. But it works.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.