Re: [opensuse] Is avahi needed? [Was: Zypper curl errors in 11.0]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 01:16:19 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2009-01-02 at 00:47 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:

On Friday 02 January 2009 00:34:27 Carlos E. R. wrote:
I only know that I don't know what it does, what it changes or provides
and for what programs, the effect it has...

So I ask.

As I said, it helps you set up a network without configuration. If you
configure things yourself, or if you already have dhcp and dns from some other
source, you don't need it. The same goes if you have special non-trivial needs
for your lan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDNS

has a reasonably good explanation

Ok, lets have a look.

] Zero Configuration Networking (Zeroconfig), is a set of techniques that ] automatically creates a usable IP network without configuration or ] special servers.
]
] This allows inexpert users to connect computers, networked printers, and ] other network devices and expect a functioning network to be established ] automatically. Without Zeroconfig, a user must either set up special ] services, like DHCP and DNS, or set up each computer's network settings

I have both DHCP and DNS.

] manually, which may be challenging for non-technical or novice users.
]
] Zeroconfig currently provides these services:
]
] * Choose numeric network addresses for networked devices, (link-local ] address autoconfiguration)

I don't need that, I set up my own Numbers.

] * Automatically resolve and distribute computer host names

I set up my names, so I don't need it either.

] * Automatically locate network services, like printing (service ] discovery)

Nay, when I configured my printer YaST couldn't find it. I had to tell it where it was. Anyway, the firewall has most ports closed...

So, I think I do not need them; I'll try disabling both daemons (avahi-dnsconfd and avahi-daemon) for the moment.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.