Re: [opensuse] Zypper curl errors in 11.0
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 20:45:08 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2009-01-01 at 10:13 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

In short disable IPv6 using YaST, and remove one obstacle from the stack.

The IPv6 is enabled and it is used first.
I used wireshark to see what is going on, and you have first unresolved DNS
resolution request (IPv6), then resolved (IPv4). That happens with every URL.

I forgot that one.

There is some sort of provision for this in openSUSE 11.1, because I see this in the log:

] Dec 28 14:29:28 minas-morgul kernel: eth0: no IPv6 routers present

I think I saw somewhere (in the computer) something about disabling ipv6 because the router doesn't support it. I'm not running 11.1 now, so i can't check. Perhaps ipv6 can be used intranet and ipv4 outside.

I don't see consistent failure by curl, ie. first failure and on repeat
success, so it doesn't fail on IPv6 request failure, but failed request takes
time from the total time allowed for name resolution. Situation is better
since I configured openSUSE to use ISP's nameservers directly, not the router
as intermediate.

I do it the other way round: I use the router dns server because this way I don't have to cater for dynamic dns server allocation. At least mine works reasonably well. On the setup I'm running now, I have defined my own dns server instead.

Some websites with ads are real DNS server killer. They request resolution of
90 names for each page. Some like Yahoo ask once and that's it. Mentioned
this, does openSUSE use DNS resolver cache?

Er... no, you have to configure one. The service "nscd", which runs by default, is misleading. The acronym stands for "name service cache daemon", but it caches passwd, group, hosts, and services; not "dns".

But, simply by installing "bind" you have one, because the default configuration is that of a cache server.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.