Re: [opensuse] Re: wifi
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 09:38:32 -0600
On Thursday 01 January 2009 07:48:37 am JosipBroz wrote:
In my view, however, there IS
one thing we GNU/Linux users can do. But we must do it PRIOR to purchasing
hardware: and that is, always purchase GNU/Linux supported/certified
hardware. That way, certain pieces of hardware should get a noticeable
increase in sales, while other models (even from the same vendor) should
get a corresponding decrease. It shouldn't take long for the manufacturers
to figure out why this is happening.
To be sure, your approach still holds: making pressure on the manufacturers
IS a good strategy and DOES produce results. The two aspects described are
complementary; moreover, there may be additional ways to help manufacturers
change their attitude. The whole issue ultimately depends on market share:
once the GNU/Linux segment becomes interesting enough, you may be sure the
HW industry will act accordingly.

Hi Tito ;-)

For you and everybody else, there is project led by Fedora, and now officially
supported by openSUSE called Smolt. It is designed to collect hardware
information from computers running Linux.

What are the benefits is described in http://en.opensuse.org/Smolt .

--
Regards, Rajko