Re: [opensuse] Re: wifi
  • From: JosipBroz <web_dept@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:48:37 +0100
Dne četrtek 01 januar 2009 ob 14:15:58 je Sven Burmeister napisal(a):
Am Mittwoch, 31. Dezember 2008 15:00:20 schrieb r:
I could be wrong, but it seems to me this works for windows.
I explain. Yes there is a button to switch on wlan, and in windows
it works so, but ( and here I could be wrong ) in linux it seems
to me that the wlan is always active. For exemple, if I boot and go,
with knetworkmanager in the tool for managing networks I see an
option to switch off wlan.
I tried to switch off but at reboot it was again active, so it seems to
me the button doesn't works on linux.
A tips I had is to blacklist the driver which kernel/networkmanager
loads at boot, but my question is, if I don't load the driver I cannot
connect ( until I do a modprobe ) to wlan, but the device itself is in
anyway switched on ? because blacklisting the driver too, I, in
networkmanager, see always the option to swirch off wifi.
So it seems it is not switched off

If so, report this to you hardware manufacturer/laptop seller and tell him
that he should make sure that the driver handling your hardware is up to
the job, since you paid the same money as a Windows user did. Windows would
not work without drivers, MS does not write drivers, hardware suppliers do,
so why should Linux work without drivers from hardware manufacturers?
(Although it does, bu that's not the point.)

Sven

I'd like to add my 2 € cents to the above. In my view, the issue is a bit more
complicated than that. Hardware is rarely made so it would "just work"; on the
contrary, it usually works with specific OSes only; more frequently than not,
the fact is visibly and clearly indicated before you buy (logos such as Vista-
approved, Windows-compatible etc.) The HW vendors have no actual "obligation"
to provide drivers for BeOS, FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M or any other OS, as long as
they SPECIFY what OS their hardware is intended for. Very very roughly
speaking it is not too dissimilar to the situation where you buy a Diesel car
and then complain why it doesn't run on, say, hydrogen, or ordinary gasoline,
etc. In my view, however, there IS one thing we GNU/Linux users can do. But we
must do it PRIOR to purchasing hardware: and that is, always purchase
GNU/Linux supported/certified hardware. That way, certain pieces of hardware
should get a noticeable increase in sales, while other models (even from the
same vendor) should get a corresponding decrease. It shouldn't take long for
the manufacturers to figure out why this is happening.
To be sure, your approach still holds: making pressure on the manufacturers IS
a good strategy and DOES produce results. The two aspects described are
complementary; moreover, there may be additional ways to help manufacturers
change their attitude. The whole issue ultimately depends on market share:
once the GNU/Linux segment becomes interesting enough, you may be sure the HW
industry will act accordingly.