Re: [opensuse] Re: wifi
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:15:58 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 31. Dezember 2008 15:00:20 schrieb r:
I could be wrong, but it seems to me this works for windows.
I explain. Yes there is a button to switch on wlan, and in windows
it works so, but ( and here I could be wrong ) in linux it seems
to me that the wlan is always active. For exemple, if I boot and go,
with knetworkmanager in the tool for managing networks I see an
option to switch off wlan.
I tried to switch off but at reboot it was again active, so it seems to
me the button doesn't works on linux.
A tips I had is to blacklist the driver which kernel/networkmanager
loads at boot, but my question is, if I don't load the driver I cannot
connect ( until I do a modprobe ) to wlan, but the device itself is in
anyway switched on ? because blacklisting the driver too, I, in
networkmanager, see always the option to swirch off wifi.
So it seems it is not switched off

If so, report this to you hardware manufacturer/laptop seller and tell him
that he should make sure that the driver handling your hardware is up to the
job, since you paid the same money as a Windows user did. Windows would not
work without drivers, MS does not write drivers, hardware suppliers do, so why
should Linux work without drivers from hardware manufacturers? (Although it
does, bu that's not the point.)

Sven