Re: [opensuse] RAID disarray
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:48:34 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2009-01-01 at 10:35 -0000, Bob Williams wrote:

I have now discovered that /dev/md0 only consists of a single
drive, /dev/sdc1, and /dev/sdb1 has been sitting idle, twiddling it's
thumbs!

Argh!

I'd be grateful if someone could guide me through the process of
reassembling the array, without losing/overwriting the new data
on /dev/sdc1. I have read through man mdadm, but I'm not confident about
my understanding. Or perhaps I could do it in Yast?

I'm not aware that yast can repair raids :-?

Here are my notes on mdadm (change device names as appropriate for your setup):

State of things:

mdadm --detail /dev/md0

Simulate a failure:

mdadm --manage --set-faulty /dev/md0 /dev/hdb11

Remove a disk:

mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/hdb11

Add a disk:

mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/hdb11

Usually adding the disk is enough to trigger the rebuild process. But first, try to learn what happened. By the way, there is a daemon that could have emailed you the problem.

Many thanks, and Happy New Year to you all :)

Same to you :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.