Re: [opensuse] RAID disarray
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 12:31:15 +0100
Bob Williams wrote:

In my old machine I had a two disk RAID1 array mounted on /home. I
have transferred these two disks to a new machine, on which I have
installed openSUSE 11.0. The operating system partitions are all on a
separate (third) drive. During the installation process, while in the
Partitioner, Yast detected my /dev/md0 so I happily mounted it on
/home, and everything seemed to proceed nicely. That was a few days
ago, and since then quite a lot of data has been written to /home

I have now discovered that /dev/md0 only consists of a single
drive, /dev/sdc1, and /dev/sdb1 has been sitting idle, twiddling it's
thumbs!

I'd be grateful if someone could guide me through the process of
reassembling the array, without losing/overwriting the new data
on /dev/sdc1. I have read through man mdadm, but I'm not confident
about my understanding. Or perhaps I could do it in Yast?

I think it's easily dealt with by removing sdb1 from the array and then
re-adding it, but let's see the output of 'cat /proc/mdstat'.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich