Re: [opensuse] Checksums, openSuSE downloads, md5sum
  • From: JosipBroz <web_dept@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:16:01 +0100
Dne četrtek 01 januar 2009 ob 11:21:04 je Verner Kjærsgaard napisal(a):
Hi list,

- and a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

- I'm puzzled by md5sums. I've downloaded openSuSE11 (both 32 and 64 bit
versions) and openSuSE11.1 (32/64 too).

- I get the same odd errors with 11 as with 11.1. This is my situation:

I try to verify the md5sum of openSuSE11(i386/32), it should be

ed6a5b3feb668866df812b1c2aed9d7f openSUSE-11.0-DVD-i386.iso

but using "md5sum openSUSE-11.0-DVD-i386.iso", I get:

a38623810009842eeb1542a2052cfc2d openSUSE-11.0-DVD-i386.iso

This, of course, is wrong. If I do a

"md5sum -c openSUSE-11.0-DVD-i386.iso", I get 500+ lines saying the this
or that -rpm file could not be read, general i/o error or so"

Now if I burn an ISO DVD, it verifies correctly when doing the "check
media" before installation (!). Installation starts fine, but in some
cases breaks later on, but not always... I use K3B for burning, it
reports a sound md5sum.

I downloaded the isos from mirrors and directly from SuSE too. I
downloaded from two different locations, albeit to the same PC (my
laptop). I stored the received files (during download) onto the harddisk
and also onto a USB stick.

Same story. As you can tell, I've done quite a few downloads...All the
downloaded files yield the same md5sum (using md5sum without the -c
flag), never mind what media I store onto. And regardless of wherefrom
and my method of downloading.

As of now, I'm not really able to install openSuSE11(1) to anything, as
I can't seem to get this right.

Questions:

a)
The md5sums listed on the openSuSE web are (of course) correct

b)
what's the correct and proper way of verifying the md5sums?

c)
I used wget, firefox directly and a FF-extension called DownThenAll for
downloading. What would be your recommendation?

And as always, thank you!

--
------------------------------
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

a) of course
b) just let k3b do it automatically (when it reads-in an ISO) and visually
compare it with a)
c) all your methods are correct. If you want additional error-checking, you
can use ktorrent with the torrent links; then, when ktorrent downloads the
ISO, you right-click on the ISO and select "Check data" from the pop-up menu.
d) I'm suspecting your CD/DVD writer may be oldish or a bit incompatible, or
maybe the media are not overly compatible with your particular optical drive.
In addition, check all k3b settings and verify they're all set to defaults.