[opensuse] RAID disarray
  • From: Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:35:50 +0000
In my old machine I had a two disk RAID1 array mounted on /home. I have
transferred these two disks to a new machine, on which I have installed
openSUSE 11.0. The operating system partitions are all on a separate
(third) drive. During the installation process, while in the Partitioner,
Yast detected my /dev/md0 so I happily mounted it on /home, and
everything seemed to proceed nicely. That was a few days ago, and since
then quite a lot of data has been written to /home

I have now discovered that /dev/md0 only consists of a single
drive, /dev/sdc1, and /dev/sdb1 has been sitting idle, twiddling it's
thumbs!

I'd be grateful if someone could guide me through the process of
reassembling the array, without losing/overwriting the new data
on /dev/sdc1. I have read through man mdadm, but I'm not confident about
my understanding. Or perhaps I could do it in Yast?

Many thanks, and Happy New Year to you all :)

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E