Re: [opensuse] SSD storage and new Linux kernels [was: Re: IFUP (WAS: Re:knetworkmanager in 11)]
  • From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 02:14:04 +0100
On 2008-12-30T12:09:26, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FYI: For those saying, what is OpenSUSE 10.3 lacking that would cause
me to upgrade. If you want to use SSD storage, I suspect you will
need a newer kernel than 10.3 offers. In reality you will need to
research when SSD discard support was added to your filesystem of
choice and then be sure you have a kernel new enough to have it.

Well, there is that, but the Intel SSDs (X-25-M) have been designed for
~5GB/d writes over 5 years, even without this. I assume they shuffle
data around behind the back of the file system if one area becomes too
used.

I've got one running on 11.0 (my DSL is broken so I can't upgrade to
11.1 yet), and combined with the x200s battery life, this really rocks
;-)

Regards,
Lars