Re: [opensuse] BIOS question
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:47:03 -0500
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 09:57, John Lange <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 13:56 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Sure there is - todays memory sticks all have a serial EEPROM that can
be read with e.g. decode-dimms from lm-sensors.

Is there an equivalent command to read the serial number of other
devices? Specifically I need the serial number of an HP DL 360.

dmidecode comes standard in recent openSUSE and it will read the BIOS
DMI data. I have found HP does a very good job at insuring all the DMI
data is correctly set -- so the answer is run dmidecode as root!