Re: [opensuse] BIOS question
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:10:48 +0100
On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 10:55 -0500, Ed Harrison wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
You would think I would know this but alas...

Is there a utility that comes with openSUSE that can be used to tell
what type of RAM the computer has? Not the amount. But the type.

try hwinfo --bios

That is what I was looking for. So, I am guessing this machine has 2
RIMMs installed, and 2 that are empty:

Memory Device: #40
Location: "RIMM 1"
Memory Array: #39
Error Info: No Error
Form Factor: 0x0c (RIMM)
Type: 0x03 (DRAM)
Type Detail: 0x0040 (RAMBUS)
Data Width: 16 bits
Size: 256 MB
Speed: 800 MHz
Memory Device: #41
Location: "RIMM 2"
Memory Array: #39
Error Info: No Error
Form Factor: 0x0c (RIMM)
Type: 0x03 (DRAM)
Type Detail: 0x0040 (RAMBUS)
Data Width: 0 bits
Size: No Memory Installed
Speed: 800 MHz
Memory Device: #42
Location: "RIMM 3"
Memory Array: #39
Error Info: No Error
Form Factor: 0x0c (RIMM)
Type: 0x03 (DRAM)
Type Detail: 0x0040 (RAMBUS)
Data Width: 16 bits
Size: 256 MB
Speed: 800 MHz
Memory Device: #43
Location: "RIMM 4"
Memory Array: #39
Error Info: No Error
Form Factor: 0x0c (RIMM)
Type: 0x03 (DRAM)
Type Detail: 0x0040 (RAMBUS)
Data Width: 0 bits
Size: No Memory Installed
Speed: 800 MHz

Now to decide if I can get reasonable RAM for this machine.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--

"On two occasions I have been asked (by members of Parliament!),
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,

And remember:

It is like talking about a large city with all construction finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.